HTML Body in kolab.xml?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Tue Nov 23 11:51:35 CET 2010

Zitat von "Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at kolabsys.com>:

> On Tuesday 23 November 2010 11.22:56 Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
> Systems) wrote:
>> Not necessarily; Updating the HTML formatted body may not necessarily
>> require the formatted body be updated in HTML... it might be updated in
>> plaintext, partially negating the purpose of storing HTML in the first
>> place.
>
> But how would a client update something it cannot parse in the first
> place? How
> would it know what to modify, and in which way?

+1

I'm certain one can find ways to make this work but I'm also pretty
certain that we'd see some "less-than-clean" implementations of the
feature and the result will be additional client incompatibilities.

> So it would always need to be able to parse HTML fully, and either offer
> editing in HTML, so it can then translate to plaintext to overwrite both, or
> know which part of the plain text that was edited corresponds to
> which part of
> the HTML and modify it accordingly. That's not so trivial.
>
> It is not clear what the advantage would be of being able to parse HTML fully
> and have life matching of plain to HTML, but then only modify in plain text.
>
> That's why this seemed to imply a de-facto "HTML only" policy.
>

>> The real problem arises with non-readable content like PDF... there's no
>> way  one can replace those contents with plaintext... and still have it be
>> a PDF.
>
> True. But PDFs are attachments, and those are possible in any format,
> including web pages & HTML information, and clients are free to
> ignore them if
> they do not understand them.
>
> Shawn's proposal - as I understood it - was to allow HTML markup in the
> regular body fields, with all the obvious advantages that would bring. The
> question is therefore whether a way can be found to deal with the
> disadvantages it would bring.

Let me add one problem to the list: I think Kontact already uses HTML
markup (or was it RTF?) in the plain text fields. As far as I know one
can use formatted notes within Kontact and I remember these were
looking horrible in Horde :)

I'm really in favor of keeping to plain-text. Anything styled should
simply go into the attachments.

Cheers,

Gunnar

--