KEP 2: Modification of datetime type, introduction of 'tz' sub-tag

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Nov 17 12:33:58 CET 2010

On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:13:53 am Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Attached is a draft for KEP 2, the first "real" KEP based on a long
> discussion we had on the kolab-format@ list, proposing a solution to the
> issues we encountered.
>
> This affects ALL CLIENTS that handle recurrence in any way. So if you work
> on a client, please make sure you have looked at this thoroughly.

The new format describes the <tz /> element be stored as a child for <start-
date />. This raises the following questions:

- Does the nesting make the new version of the format incompatible with older
clients?

- Is there a specific reason the <tz /> element is nested in the <start-date
/> element? Do we expect to see end-dates specified for a different timezone?

- Could the <tz /> element instead be a <start-date /> element attribute, and
if so, does that make the modification more sustainable across a series of
clients not familiar with the new format?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG