Timezone / recurrence scheduling discussion for Kolab

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Nov 10 14:44:16 CET 2010

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 01:15:03 pm Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Freitag, 5. November 2010 22:47:23 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
>
> Systems):
> > The XML element, event in this instance, has a version attribute that is
> > currently still set to 1.0, and it could be used to let the client know
> > how to deal with the what is then information of the legacy time inside
> > the element.
>
> Note that a number of elder clients will not interpret a Kolab object with
> a version number that is greater than 1. So it is a massive problem when
> introducing new clients into old installations where old client with this
> behaviour are still present. So avoiding this kind of change if there is a
> different path is certainly a good idea.

May I ask which such older clients are still under full and complete support?
I suppose there is no chance to fix these older clients, or to get rid of
these older clients?

I suppose any further development we can think of solving the original issue
could result in these older clients being a blocker, and the fully backwards
compatible solution might therefor end up being a band-aid solution on behalf
of these older clients... a band-aid solution which then in turn would become
a hurdle later on... but unless I know which clients we are talking about, I
can't really make any such statement.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen