RFC: Do not touch versions you do not know policy

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Dec 14 16:26:20 CET 2010

[Do some clients only work on version=1.0 on an object?]

Am Dienstag, 30. November 2010 18:35:19 schrieb Georg C. F. Greve:
> On Monday 29 November 2010 21.14:41 Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > The requirement makes sense. I actually only noticed because I checked
> > the Kolab_Format code, realized that such a check was missing,
> > considered that a bug and started logging a new issue. Just when I
> > wanted to link the relevant format section I realized there was no
> > paragraph requiring this check.
>
> Maybe it *should* be made explicit, then.
>
> I wonder: Are there clients out there that follow this approach already?

AFAIK Toltec 2 does only work on version numbers it knows, which is
version=1.0. The question came up when we wanted to switch to 2.0 as planned.

To me it makes a lot of of sense to not try to read and write a format
that you know has seen changes to the description after you wrote the code.
Because the changes came later, the code cannot reflect them.

Of course some changes to the description would still be compatible with the
original code, then there is no need to change the version number, though.

Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.