[Kolab-devel] Horde can now store Preferences in IMAP (was: Horde preferences: LDAP or IMAP?)

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Jan 5 11:39:30 CET 2009

Am Montag, 5. Januar 2009 10:19:55 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

Hi Bernhard,

> This is what makes the discussion interesting. The use of LDAP for
> daily client preferences in Kolab Server 2.2.0 was by mistake.

No it was an intermediate solution in order to avoid an additional piece of
compley software (RDBMS).

> Until we have a good proposal for the Kolab Format, it should be file,
> as this is what most other clients also use.

Using a file instead of IMAP breaks the scalability aspect of the Kolab
Webclient.

> A client could potentially write this data on any display refresh
> or client action. Just think about index files that contain special flags
> per email. So I guess that there will be always client data that will need
> to be saved client locally per user.

I don't understand this. E.g. a webclient can easily use the more efficient
session instead of persistent storage in order to keep volatile data (which
can easily be regenerated anyway)

Regards,
-- martin

--
e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Adolfstraße 23, 70469 Stuttgart, Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126