iCalendar vs XML (was: timezones, question of)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Feb 9 11:51:22 CET 2009

Helge,

On Donnerstag, 5. Februar 2009, Helge Hess wrote:
> I've never understood why you dropped iCalendar as the entity format.

this is an old question, read it up in the archives.
I had several very good people tell me it would work as a storage format
and when they got down trying to implement it, they came back (10 days) later
saying it is not possible to get it right.

> Its not complex due to design by committee, but because the domain
> _is_ that complex.

The format is too ambigious for a storage format.

> If you start enhancing the XML to support what is actually necessary,
> you quickly end up with iCalendar ... Solution: just revert back to
> the iCal based Kolab format! ;-) After all Kontact has one of the best
> and most complete iCalendar implementations!

Best,
Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)