timezones, question of

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Feb 5 10:36:21 CET 2009

Till,

On Mittwoch, 4. Februar 2009, Till Adam wrote:
> In the Kolab backend I
> can still select the timezone when creating the event, but that timezone is
> not explicitly saved with the event. Instead, it is converted to UTC on
> write. The next time I open Kontact and the event is read, it shows in the
> right place, but tells me it's an event in UTC, which I can now no longer
> map to a place.

I believe Kontact should display the time in your local timezone,
which works, because it knows which timezone you have set it to when
looking at the event.

> Yes, there is a location in the event, and I'll likely know
> anyhow, from what the event is, but still, information has been lost that I
> find convenient to have around.

As long as you have the time, I do not think it matters in which timezone you
have created the appointment. Hm I guess I would need to understand the use
case better. Probably you are using the timezone display for calculating the
time for others, like uh, this will be local time 7am so it is pretty early
when I am there.

Unfortunately Helge is right in that there is a problem with recurrences,
daylight shifting and timezones. Currently each client will use their
understanding of daylight shifting and this does not work for some cases.
On the other hand, we do have a problem with recurrences anyway.
This is definately something we need to get at.
First I want 2.0 of the spec getting out.
(Comments from client implementors regarding other ideas were sparse on the
list lately, are you sure there aren't any other issues a Kontact comment is
open? ;) )

Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)