[Kolab-devel] distributionlists testing

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jun 2 13:58:20 CEST 2008

Hi Martin,

On Monday 26 May 2008 09:21, Martin Konold wrote:
> > > The mimetype of this attachment will be
> > > "application/x-vnd.kolab.<type>" where type is the content type of the
> > > file.
> > > (http://kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc7-html/x179.html)
> > >
> > > Looking at the Kontact source code on the other hand reveals that
> > > Kontact uses the same mime type :(
> >
> > If this is the case, we might also consider changing the kolab-format
> > spec as we will have quite a few objects of this type out there in the
> > wild.
>
> I strongly object to this way of dealing with implementation problems. If
> the standard is not broken but the implementations are broken then fix the
> implementations but not the standard.
>

> The former approach is the reason for too many problem in other areas like
> html where implementations finally defined the standards...
>
> So fix the implementations and use the version numbering schema for
> backwards compatibility.

this might be true in the general case, but we are looking at a specific case.
Do you know any implementation that is _not_ following the Kontact or Toltec
implementation? If there is non, and there is no other drawback, we would only
put the burden on implementors and users - without any practical gain
for the first release that is called "stable".

So I believe this should be considered in concrete terms.

Bernhard