Timezone issues

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jun 2 13:03:54 CEST 2008

Hi Martin,

On Monday 26 May 2008 09:54, Martin Konold wrote:
> When entering a date e.g. for an event KDE Kontact should use
>
> <time-zone>(GMT+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rom, Stockholm,
> Wien</time-zone>

what do you mean by "entering" a date?
(I've just tried Kontact 1.2.9 (enterprise 20080520.810305)
and created an event and looked at the resultung Kolab-xml file,
there is no <time-zone> tag in there.)

> NOT
>
> <time-zone>(GMT+02:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rom, Stockholm,
> Wien</time-zone>
>
> even though we currently have DST in Germany.
>

> Rational: The timezone is solely dependend on the geographic location but
> not on the week. This is especially important for events spanning over DST
> switching sundays.

Well, both variants do not seem to be a nice specification of a time-zone,
they both are wrong about half of the year.
Currently we do not have "time-zone" in the specification.
Are you proposing to add it?
(I would welcome this as I believe that there is a rare problem
when specifying recurrent events, which we discussed years ago.)

> E.g. a daily recurring event at 12 noon like "lunch" shall always happen at
> the same time and not be affected by daylight saving time switches.

Correct means it should happen on the same time within the time zone,
so in summer time it is always 12:00 (even when this is 11:00 or 10:00 UTC
depending on the daylight saving period it occurs in).

> BTW: This is something which MS Outlook 2K3 does correct ;-)

I believe Kontact does this correctly, though.
If not please let us know the test case or directly file an issue
in the tracker.

Thanks,
Bernhard