[Kolab-devel] RFC: "gender" field in contacts

Bernhard Herzog bh at intevation.de
Tue Apr 1 18:52:40 CEST 2008

CC to kolab-format at kolab.org because that's where this question should really
be discussed.  A final decision should be made on that list.

On Tuesday 01 April 2008 14:15, Thomas Jarosch wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1. April 2008 11:48:04 Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> > I think it would be better to use either single letters (m, f) or to
> > spell it out (male, female).  Both are preferable because their meaning
> > is reasonably obvious.  With integers you always have to consult the
> > documentation to figure out what they mean.  To indicate an unspecified
> > gender, leave out the gender element altogether or leave it empty.
>
> That's a good point. "male" and "female" is best as it's consistent
> with the rest of the Kolab format using complete names
> like the recurrence pattern types do.

I've talked about this with Bernhard Reiter and Thomas Arendsen Hein.  They
both prefer spelling out male or female, too.  An unspecified or unknown
gender can be indicated by omitting the gender element altogether or by
leaving it empty.

Do we need other values?

   Bernhard

--
Bernhard Herzog                              Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück