IMAP annotation for groupware folder descriptions

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Nov 5 18:15:27 CET 2007

Hi Gunnar,

On Tuesday 30 October 2007 10:57, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> But in general I believe it makes sense to use solutions that don't
> lock people down.

we are on the same page here.

> And I'd like to see the Kolab format being used a
> little bit more frequently than it is being used at the moment. This
> should have a beneficial long term effect because we'll have more
> people being interest in getting the format supported.

I would like to see more widespread use, but not at all costs.
The format itself is important to present a good groupware funcationality to
users. If the group of client fully supporting it is small, it is easier
to improve the format and thus the groupware experience.
Kolab Server XML is designed to by a storage data format and to this extend it
is internal to each one particular Kolab Solution setup.

Also the format comes along with more requirements for a Kolab Client
to fullful.

> What I'd like to suggest:
>
> We should define a second, optional possibility for setting the folder
> type. This approach should use standard IMAP capabilities. This is
> something that a client MAY implement.

I first feeling is to not add an additional method.
Choice is good in principle, but in this regard I would rather
have a higher burden for Kolab Clients and to not water down the brand.
Kolab2 compliant servers would need to implement the freebusy mechanism
and the incidences-for funcationality as well.

Best,
Bernhard