inline-attachments tag

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Thu Oct 19 11:05:03 CEST 2006

Hi Bernhard,

> Does somebody remember some followup discussion?
> Joon: Are there technical reasons to not just give each
> attachment a name when you transform the Outlook object into
> a Kolab-XML format?

What possible benefit can be added to the format by assigning file names to
each attachment? Some attachments are not even files for example RFC2822
attachments.

Secondly you still need to parse the mail structure to find the MIME type of
the attachment. So the information provided by this tag does not offer much.

Thirdly, introducing this field now would require that each object on the
server be re-uploaded.

The only use case we can see for this is where you want to identify the
"hidden" meta data attachments like the Toltec blob that gets added. I think
adding a field to the MIME part header might be a better solution in this
case.

Is there any other use cases that shows the benefit of this tag?

Best regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557