[Kolab-devel] Kolab XML specification

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed May 4 10:26:35 CEST 2005

Hi Joon,

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 10:06:36AM +0200, Joon Radley wrote:
> > David has added the scheduling id to the format document and
> > I just released a pdf version as release candidate 1.
> > Check out the documentation section of www.kolab.org.
> > This actually reflects the status of the document as we are
> > actually using the format for quite a while now.
>
> Is it possible to have a more regular update of this document as I just
> discovered that there is a whole new object defined (Distribution-List) that
> was not in the previous document.

:(

Actually I believed CVS version to be the reference,
and the pdf version only to be illustrative.
This turned out to not be a good idea.
I will update the pdf document sooner.
The distribution-list was in CVS for quite a long time.

> Is it also possible that we can have a specification freeze at some point.
> I was under the impression that we where in a freeze and stared rolling out
> release candidates, now I will have to revert back to beta's.

I do believe we are in a freeze, this is why I called the pdf rc1 now.
but of course the above missunderstanding creates problems now.
Also I was under the impression that David had resolved Steffen's problems
as I asked for. It only turned out at the second question that this
was a wrong assumption. :(

It is good that we discover the problems now, though and not later.
I would suggest to not go back to beta for the personal distribution lists.
It is rarely used and KDE 3.4 does not support it,
only KDE 3.3 Proko2 branch does.

There is only one flaw on my list for the format in the future
and this is the time zone problem.
E.g. see msg2289 also linked from
https://intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue426
This has been discussed before,
but it is not critical as a Kolab-Server will assume one timezone now
and recurrent events are not yet completed fully anyway.

	Bernhard