Problems with Cyrus and Folder Names

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Thu Mar 31 07:02:31 CEST 2005

Hi all,

It has been reported on this list and on our forum that there is a problem
with creating folders when some characters are used in the folder name. Most
notably ( ) ' @ & `. These will not be the only characters.

RFC3501 make provision for a UTF-7 encoding of folder names. The problem
characters are part of US-ASCII and is therefore not encoded. When I force
the encoding of these names the same error result is returned.

I think this is a maildir issue and the characters are limited to what can
be saved on the file system.

As some of these characters are part of the fixed names in Outlook I need to
make provision for them.

Currently the only solution I can see is a custom encapsulation mechanism
e.g. all not alpha numeric characters get encoded with a underscore "_"
followed by a two char hex number of the actual character. This is ugly but
I anybody has a better working solution, please speak up now.

Best regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557