Distribution List

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Thu Jun 9 17:11:44 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 17:10, Joon Radley wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 June 2005 10:57, Joon Radley wrote:
> > > Hi David,
> > >
> > > Do you think you will add support for this in the future or
> > should I
> > > just add custom "x-" fields?
> >
> > We might support it in KDE4, since my new distribution list
> > class allows it.
> > (Only the GUI currently doesn't allow doing it).
> >
> > What do you have in mind? A flag in each entry of a distribution list?
> > (For KDE I don't think we need anything; given a name we can
> > easily look up whether that's a distribution list or not.
> > After all the same has to happen when sending a mail, we need
> > to look up if what the user typed was the name of a
> > distribution list or not. But of course if this has to be
> > done on loading it's a bit slow... I just don't see why we
> > would have to do it on loading?)

I was hoping to see those questions answered ;)
Why does it matter for you to resolve distribution lists upon loading,
as opposed to doing it when sending a mail? Just wondering.

Resolving upon loading has the problem that the member distribution list
might not be loaded yet, it might appear further down in the contacts folder
(or in another one), so at the time of the loading of the distr list, we don't
know the member distr list being named there.
But of course if you simply store the name somewhere that's not a problem.

> How about a new field?
>
> <member-distribution-list>Display Name</member-distribution-list>

I guess you don't use the UID, so the display name will be OK.

(And not much can happen if this display name isn't a known distribution list anyway,
so we can ignore that issue in any case).

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer