RFC2822 windows attachment

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 13 17:49:38 CET 2005

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 00:59, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Montag, 10. Januar 2005 09:10 schrieb Joon Radley:

> > While working on the RFC2822 translation we ran into a problem where we
>
> I fail to understand your problem. To my knowledge OL is able to handle
> normal RFC2822 messages via IMAP for a long time.

Any MUA adds some special flags to a message after it dealt
with it. This can be considered custom data, but in a simple form.
Any plugin might be able to add thus custom data that we cannot decipher.

> How did other people solve the problem? E.g. what is the strategy of Bynari
> or Konsec?

I don't know what other outlook plug-ins do, but I also do not think it is relevant.
Free Software MUAs add their own headers.

> > The other option is to put custom data into the attachment that can only
> > be used by our product. This will save some space, but nobody else can
> > use it.
>
> Having proprietary opaque data structures in our standard are not nice and
> should be avoided whenever possible.

In my understanding, it cannot be avoided here.