Alarm setting?

Bo Thorsen bo at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Mon Sep 20 08:32:26 CEST 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 18:42, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> I just read the kolab spec once again, and it seems that the alarm
> settings are very poor in the current version in cvs. All there is is
> one simple integer for specifying an alarm.
> Currently, korganizer already supports executing an application, and
> playing a sound in addition to a simple reminder dialog.
>
> However, I'm currently planning to extend korganizer to support
> multiple alarms, with possible settings for an alarm:
> -) type: reminder dialog (msg given by user), sound,
> application/script, maybe email (but that would require having a daemon
> running even when not logged in, so it's probably outside of
> korganizer's scop).
> -) repeating alarms
> -) Alarms also counted from the end of an incidence (or the start of a
> todo).

I also thought about this. But if you look at the "run an application"
alarm type, how would you expect that to work in a cross machine and
cross platform environment? Answer: Not reliably, at least.

So the question is what to do about it. We might try and just save all the
things KOrganizer can do in the format. However, Outlook usually simply
can not keep information like this between saving. So we would need some
extra logic to transform it to something that would make sense for
Outlook. And if the executable is not there.

Would it make sense to have a set of tags that Kontact can use only, but
that the user will get a warning (with a don't show again cb) when using?
This would of course be usable for more than just this problem.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark