Small extension to the annotate proposal

Bo Thorsen bo at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Tue Jun 29 11:37:34 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 11:17, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 June 2004 10:43, Martin Konold wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 29. Juni 2004 10:41 schrieb David Faure:
> >
> > Hi David,
> >
> > > To make the proposal more precise:
> > > We currently have
> > >  /vendor/kolab/folder-type where value.shared is set to mail,
> > > event, journal, etc.
> > >
> > > I like the idea of adding
> > >  /vendor/kolab/storage-format where value.shared would be "xml 1.0"
> > > (referring to the kolab xml storage version 1.0". This would allow
> > > to set it to 2.0 in case of major changes later, and it would also
> > > allow values like "ical 1.0" or "vcard 1.0".
> >
> > This is exactly what I want.
>
> As agreed later in this thread, versioning should not go into the
> annotation.
>
> I also disagree that we should add format here. Instead, I would
> propose that whoever does annotations on other types of formats in
> these kolab folders just do something like /vendor/kolab/ical/calendar
> or /vendor/kolab/ical.calendar. That would mean they can do whatever
> they want.
>
> The Kolab format specifies the format when the annotation
> is /vendor/kolab/calendar (for example). Other formats can just choose
> something else.

Okay, discussing this with David, I realize that my arguing here is too
vague.

My point is that if we have /vendor/kolab, then it *is* the xml format,
since that's the Kolab format.

If Konsec or kdepim wants to do the ical format also (and they do -
actually I will be the one coding on the ical format in kdepim), then it
should be something else. Whatever it is, it's not up to the kolab format
specification to say what that is. And more generally, I definitely don't
want to make this specification the central place to set annotations on
folders with groupware stuff in.

So the point here is that our chosen annotations describe the fact that
the folders hold our xml format in them.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark