Timezone needed?

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Wed Jun 23 06:25:46 CEST 2004

Hi Bernard,

> On Wednesday 16 June 2004 04:34, Joon Radley wrote as answer
> to Martin:
> > > I very much agree with the change while I would like to emphasize
> > > that in contrast to another claim we _need_ the timezone! So lets
> > > make the timezone explizit.
> >
> > Please motivate the "_need_".
>
> As far as I understood the local timezone would be needed
> when making recurring appointments in a timezone where they
> use daylight sayings.
>
> E.g. The company boss gives a speech each monday at 9:30, so
> she will talk at 8:30UTC in the winter in Germany and at
> 7:30UTC in the summer.

But this is correct, the UTC times are different because you are in a
different "time zone" when you are in daylight savings mode. When the mail
client uses the operating system to translate from local time to UTC it
takes into consideration daylight savings time.

So in South Africa(UTC+0200) I can watch the web cast in winter at 10:30 and
summer at 9:30. You will see the web cast in the winter (UTC+0100) at 9:30
and in summer (UTC+0200) 9:30. So without knowing anything about your
daylight savings time I will know exactly when the web cast will take place
in any part of the world.

Regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC