Case sensitivity

Bo Thorsen bo at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Tue Jun 15 12:04:32 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 11:49, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 June 2004 11:41, Martin Konold wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 15. Juni 2004 11:26 schrieb Bo Thorsen:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > We decided on case insensitivity for tags and "enums". But it seems
> > > to be very unusual to do this.
> >
> > Beeing case sensitive helps to make searches comparisions etc much
> > easier and lightweigt beacuse there is no requirement for evaluation
> > of regular expressions or for conversion. Therefore I agree that case
> > sensitive is the better approach for an XML storage format.
>
> Great.

Well, we still have to hear what the Toltec and Code Fusion people think.

> One more note on that: Bo suggested <Note> instead of <note> or <NOTE>
> (most of the storage format has title-cased words currently).
> But it's more common in XML to use all-lowercase words.
> Proper XML would even be <namespaceprefix:note>, but that's not
> necessary if there's only one namespace being used, as is the case
> here.
>
> I would suggest to use "<nick-name>" instead of "<NickName>", etc.
> This would be more consistent with modern XML specs.

I truly don't care either way. Well, that's probably not true - I would
like us to have an XML spec that doesn't look odd.

Joon, Stuart, Stephan, what do you think about this?

> Is there a plan to write a formal schema for this XML format? In that
> case I would suggest using XML Schema or RelaxNG instead of a DTD. This
> allows to validate existing files throughly, including showing an error
> if a color was specified as "blue" instead of #FF0000, which a DTD
> doesn't allow. If there's some interest in this (and time for it), I
> could write a RelaxNG schema that we could all use to validate the
> generated XML.

That would of course be A Good Thing(TM).

Can such a schema handle allowing unknown tags? This is necessary, since
clients are allowed to have their own tags, and all others are required
to preserve them.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark