Naming of attachments

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Jul 27 23:56:40 CEST 2004

Am Montag, 19. Juli 2004 13:36 schrieb Karl-Heinz Zimmer:

Hi KHZ,

> There is no reliable ay to "update" a mail that's stored already.

There is actually no way at all. Modify is modelled as new+delete.

> One reason for this is that KMail was not primarily designed as a
> database application but as a MUA.  While we _can_ use it to handle
> storing/retrieving KOLAB data there are a few drawbacks like this one.

No this is not a draw back but a design decission with a big advantage.

> IM(H)O these drawbacks are not so serious that they would prevent
> KMail from being a useful tool for this job.

The big advantage of this solution is that it allows for extreme scalability
and concurrent usage including off line clients.

Anything based on databases and their access patterns is prone to many
conflicts and locks by design.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de