Maybe some more contact fields

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Fri Jul 16 00:29:03 CEST 2004

On Thursday 15 July 2004 22:24, Stuart K. Bingë wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 July 2004 21:16, David Faure wrote:
> > * Geographical information:
> >    latitude, longtitude (floating point numbers)
>
> Horde can support this (well not yet, but I've added these in in the past, and
> subsequently removed them due to lack of interest - they are easy to re-add).

Maybe because you didn't implement a nifty world map where the user can
click to define a latitude & longitude? The editor in the KDE addressbook
looks pretty cool :-)  (note that I'm not commenting on the usefulness here :-)

> > * Logo   (it's a picture, just like the photo used for <picture>, I'm not
> > sure what people use it for though...)
> >
> > * Sound  (the sound data will be stored in an additional attachment, much
> > like the picture. I guess it can be any sound file that the sound system
> > supports, e.g. wav, mp3, ogg...)
>
> Can't support these, however.

OK, I'll use kde-specific tags for those then... Should I use <logo> and <sound>
or should I prefix those tags somehow, like <k-logo> <k-sound>?
IMHO they're pretty non-ambiguous so I prefer not prefixing the tag names,
so that another client or tool can implement support for e.g. sound without
feeling that they're doing something kde-specific.
OTOH maybe we should mark all non-compliant tags like x-logo x-sound
to make clear they're extensions, like in many standards.

> > The rest is probably not worth sharing (or quite difficult to share) :
> >
> > * IM address - that's a single field but it has also been extended to a
> > much more complete list of IM addresses (for ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, etc.)
>
> I can add support for this into Horde, as a plain text field. Unless this is
> some funny URL select-box type thingy?

We have two things. An old plain text field, which I suppose will disappear in KDE 4.
The real thing is more complex.
It's a list of items, each item specifies
 - a protocol (aim, gadu, icq, irc, jabber, msg, sms, yahoo ...)
 - an address
 - a context (any, work or home)

It's possible to define multiple addresses for the same protocol, with identical
or different contexts.

So I guess the proper XML representation of it would be
  <im-addresses>
    <im-address>
      <protocol>aim</protocol>
      <address>123456</address>         <!-- no idea how an aim address looks like :) -->
      <context>work</context>
    </im-address>
  </im-addresses>

> > * Crypto settings (allowed protocols, preferred openpgp and smime
> > encryption keys, and whether to always sign/never sign/ask sign etc.)
>
> Horde has the following fields that relate to this:
>
> "PGP Public Key"
> "S/MIME Public Certificate"
>
> which are both multi-line text fields.

Oh. I assume they are supposed to contain the full public key?
In KDE we only store the fingerprint, gpg knows how to go from that to
the full public key. We could of course store the full public key in there
in theory, but I don't really want to be writing crypto code in the xml resource :)

> Horde is very flexible when it comes to contact fields - you can edit a simple
> PHP file to add in as many fields as you want, and the contact application
> handles all the UI work for you. This means I can pretty much add any field,
> as long as it can fit in the following list of supported field types (ripped
> from horde/turba/config/attributes.php.dist):
Pretty cool :-)

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer