Note by Toltec

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Wed Jul 14 10:30:46 CEST 2004

Hi Stephan,

> On Wednesday 14 July 2004 09:54, Stuart K. Bingë wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 13 July 2004 20:05, David Faure wrote:
> > > OK. No problem. I opened the mail with KMail, and noticed
> something though:
> > > The main Content-Type header had a newline in the middle of the
> > > boundary, which broke decoding the message. I had to remove that
> > > newline for kmail to parse the mail correctly. I hope the newline
> > > was added by some tool you used for saving, but wasn't in
> the original email?
> >
> > Isn't this supposed to happen? I.e. the headers should be
> folded at 80
> > characters, similar to the way iCal content lines should be
> folded? It
> > seems a bit strange that KMail can't handle folded headers...
> >
> According to RFC 2822:
>
> 2.1.1. Line Length Limits
>
>    There are two limits that this standard places on the number of
>    characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than
>    998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
>    the CRLF
>
> So strictly it is legal... (but SHOULD not be done)

The actual paragraphs of interest in RFC2822 are 2.2.3 and 3.2.5. The
folding is legal.

But we are dealing with a lot of RFCs 822, 1341, 1521, 2045, 2046, 2822 and
there are a lot of interoperability issues. So the easiest is to break the
complete boundary parameter on a new line. Problem solved. :-)

Best regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557