Extra Header field

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Mon Jul 12 19:09:23 CEST 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 17:15, Stuart K. Bingë wrote:
> On Monday, 12 July 2004 16:52, David Faure wrote:
> > On Monday 12 July 2004 15:40, Stuart K. Bingë wrote:
> > > Related to headers - is the Subject line currently being used for
> > > anything critical, in both your work and the Kontact objects?
> >
> > I currently set it to something nice for the user if he/she happens to
> > open the mail reader on that folder. So for notes it's the short summary,
> > for contacts it's the contact's name, etc.
> >
> > > Why I ask is to see if we could specify Subject as mirroring the <uid>
> > > value of the corresponding xml object, as this would help the Horde code
> > > immensely.
> >
> > Why not set this in a special header instead?]
>
> Yet another limitation of the UW c-client library (as in, you can't search on
> arbitrary headers). I can put it in a separate header and perform a raw IMAP
> SEARCH command, however. Not a problem, other than it's slightly less
> efficient.

OK I understand things better now, realizing that you're talking to the IMAP
server directly whereas we use a local cache; the possibilities are indeed
quite different. It's too bad that you can't search on arbitrary headers...
But I suppose efficiency of one client is more important than "nice-looking
folder list in KMail when the groupware folders are not hidden" (after all
they are hidden by default, so the Subject doesn't matter much).
I'm fine with Subject == uid then, if nobody objects to it.

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer