Extra Header field

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Mon Jul 12 18:04:12 CEST 2004

Hi Martin

> > The extra header only makes it much easier. I can decide
> how to handle
> > a message just by looking at the header, without the need
> to parse the
> > whole message first. Parsing a big MIME message is resource
> intensive.
> >
> > Adding this header to the message will not affect the format or the
> > storage, why is it such a problem?
>
> Actually sofar nobody seems to think that it is a problem.
> Everybody aggreed that it helps for efficiency.
>
> The only question left is:
>  Is the extra header a hint or mandatory.
>
> I think making it a hint for the sake of efficiency in the
> common case and in case the header is missing doing the extra
> effort of parsing is the way to go.

It defeats the purpose of putting it in the header in the first place.

So the 90% mail object( RFC2822 messages ) that I do not want to parse, I
will have to parse anyway, because the other 10% (Kolab Format) may or may
not add a extra "hint" header. :-(

Best regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC