Small extension to the annotate proposal

Bo Thorsen bo at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Mon Jul 12 16:20:47 CEST 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 16:06, Stuart K. Bingë wrote:
> On Monday, 12 July 2004 15:33, Martin Konold wrote:
> > > If that is the case, then is the annotation even necessary? You
> > > could potentially ignore it, write whatever data you want, and
> > > still be considered "compliant"
> >
> > Yes, you are correct but the annotation is indeed the hint to the
> > client which format it shall use for writing. You may write other
> > messages to the folder syntactically but you most probably run into
> > trouble semantically if you choose to ignoe the hint.
>
> I wouldn't think so - if it's just a hint then there is no obligation
> for a client to adhere to it. We've also said that any data a client
> doesn't understand must be preserved/ignored, so it may happen that a
> irresponsible client can start writing bogus data to a folder, and all
> other clients that access said folder must be able to properly
> side-step the invalid messages.

This is also how KMail will work. It will assume that anything in the
Kolab folders is actually of the type described by the annotation.

If you have a file with an event in, but store it in a notes folder, it
will not be seen by the user.

The annotations are not just hints, they are the law. And if someone
breaks this, then they get undefined behaviour. Which in KMails case
means to not do anything about it.

> > Last but not least the annotation is very important that we dont have
> > to guess the name of the default groupware folders (think about
> > localization)
>
> Is that not the job of the .default flag of the /folder-type
> annotation?

Yes.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark