[Kolab-devel] Thoughts about an optional alternative to Guam

Thomas Brüderli bruederli at kolabsys.com
Sun Oct 30 14:01:03 CET 2016

Timotheus Pokorra wrote:
> Hello developers of Kolab,
>
> (question: should I post this on kolab hub instead? where are most
> developers reading and participating???)
>
> I personally think that Guam is too complicated for the home user.
> It might have its place in an enterprise, with paid subscription and
> support from Kolab Systems.
> But for the open source user that just wants to manage his family
> email, it is overkill.
> Too many dependancies on Erlang and such. A new language that is not mainstream.
> If it breaks, can I fix it myself?

I once worked on a proof-of-concept-like IMAP proxy way before Guam was
born. It runs on node.js and is likely less performant than Erlang but
it also comes with less dependencies. The functionality is similar and
its main goal was to filter out Kolab groupware folders.

  https://github.com/thomascube/imaproxy.js

The current implementation doesn't do a user agent check and simply
always hides non-mail folders from LSUB/LIST/XLIST responses. But that
could easily be added.

Maybe somebody wants to have a look and pick up that project.

Cheers,
Thomas