[Kolab-devel] [3.5] amavisd is not starting on CentOS

Jochen Hein jochen at jochen.org
Tue Jan 26 21:39:01 CET 2016

Jochen Hein <jochen at jochen.org> writes:

> I'll check what I missed in the installation documentation.

I've just had a look at
https://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/preparing-the-system.html

,----
| The System Hostname and FQDN
|
| The setup procedure of Kolab Groupware also requires that the Fully
| Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) for the system resolves back to the
| system. If the FQDN does not resolve back to the system itself, the
| Kolab Groupware server components will refer to the system by the
| configured or detected FQDN, but will fail to communicate with one
| another.
|
| Should the FQDN of the system (found with hostname -f) be, for example,
| kolab.example.org, then kolab.example.org should resolve to the IP
| address configured on one of the network interfaces not the loopback
| interface, and the IP address configured on said network interface
| should have a reverse DNS entry resulting in at least kolab.example.org.
`----

My system did meet that requirement.

,----
| The following depicts what services like LDAP and others will be using:
|
| # python -c 'import socket; print socket.getfqdn();'
| kolab.example.org
`----

That's also true:

[root at kolab-35 ~]# hostnamectl set-hostname kolab-35
[root at kolab-35 ~]# python -c 'import socket; print socket.getfqdn();'
kolab-35.jochen.org
[root at kolab-35 ~]# hostname
kolab-35
[root at kolab-35 ~]# hostname -f
kolab-35.jochen.org

I guess, we need hostname to return the FQDN, not only "hostname -f".
That requirement is right now not explicit documented. (My Debian server
for kolab has "hostname" and "hostname -f" both return the FQDN).

Are there any other services that require such a somewhat non-standard
configuration for kolab?  If there is only amavisd, we might get away
with some changes when processing the amavis.conf-template.
Any preferences what we should do?  Update the documentation or prepare
some template changes?

Jochen

--
The only problem with troubleshooting is that the trouble shoots back.