[Kolab-devel] FOSDEM 16 roundup

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at mykolab.com
Mon Feb 1 10:38:30 CET 2016

Hello!

As you may have seen on social media, as well as various stories that are
popping up in the media, FOSDEM 2016 was a great success for Kolab!

We had a fantastic booth presence, with temporary tattoos, feature and
community brochures, multiple live demos, the new community site projected
onto the ceiling, a Kolab Now promo[1], and half a dozen or so of us in and
around the booth in our "Straight Outta Zurich" shirts :)

We talked to hundreds of people, sharing the love of Kolab. Many had never
seen Kolab before, sot his was a fantastic opportunity.

As you may have already noticed, we also made two rather significant
announcements:

1. Kolab Systems has partnered with Colabora to bring LibreOffice Online /
CloudSuite to Kolab users. We will be working on this integration in the
coming months.

Manticore + WebODF will continue to ship by default with Kolab, aimed at
light-weight document editing and we plant to make it possible to edit your
notes, emails, etc. collaboratively using this as well! CloudSuite is overkill
for this use case, and we see a place for both editors, presented to the user
when the use case calls for it.

2. Kolab 16. Yep, the big One Six. This is our first of the year-numbered
releases that brings Community and Enterprise editions together in one juicy
release. Highlights included a number of improvements to existing code, such
as the new version of cyrus-imap which fixes a number of issues, as well as a
tech preview of collaborative editing with Manticore and WebODF and the first
official release of Guam, an IMAP filter/proxy.

You can read more about both of these announcements on the community blogs
here:

	https;//kolab.org/blogs/

Looking forward to seeing you all next year in Brussels!

[1] go to kolabnow.com/ILoveFS and get 30% off any new Kolab Now accounts
until Feb 14, which is the FSFE's ILoveFS day!

--
Aaron Seigo