[Kolab-devel] Notes client for Android

Ing. Konrad Renner konrad.renner at kolabnow.com
Fri Mar 6 21:31:07 CET 2015

Hi community, I have searched for an Android app which can sync/display/edit
notes from a Kolab server (incl. Notebooks, Tags, etc.), but I didn't find one
(the exchange clients can sync the notes, but not notebooks).

I am a Java developer so I started to implement a library which can handle notes
in the Kolab V3 format on my own. The library can also sync notes with a Kolab server
via IMAP (getting notes already works, sending to the server is not finished yet).
You can find the code here: https://github.com/konradrenner/kolabnotes-java (the Android branch contains the code which runs on Android).

This library uses the java-mail API, for the IMAP connectivity. Sadly important parts
of this API/library are not supported by Android, because java-mail uses java.awt,
which is not available on Android. There already exists a project which tried to port java-mail
to Android, but it seems that there is no development anymore and it does not support Multipart-Mimemessages.
So I ported java-mail on my own to Android (I replaced the java.awt dependencies), you can find
the code in this repository: https://github.com/konradrenner/kore-javamail .

I have already tested getting notes from KolabNow via this library on my Android phone and it works.

The next steps would be fixing the sending notes to a Kolab server and implement a new Android
notes app or extend an extisting open source notes app.

Is there anyone in the community who can help me (coding, designing the ui for the app, etc)?