[Kolab-devel] current state/future of debian packages ?

Matthias Busch catwiesel at gmx.net
Mon Jan 26 16:05:17 CET 2015

Hey Jeroen,

thank you for your very detailed answers.

I could follow most of what you said and it makes all sense. Some I do
not fully understand but I dont think that this will be a problem.

Now, I am not a linux guru, I dont have much experience with each of the
components of Kolab. I can read python but I can not really script with
it. I have never worked with obs before nor have I ever helped get a
software from sources into the hands of "customers"

My own installation is a small "service" for my extended family,
providing a private alternative to *insert huge,free email and calender
provider* and honestly, I love it. It was fun (and sometimes
frustrating) getting to know kolab and setting up the server.
I learned a lot and I think I even helped finding/confirming some bugs.

I consider my kolab to be in-production. Of course the term
in-production does not carry the same weight when I say it as when
people use it that have hundreds if not thousands users with multiple
domains on the system.When my kolab stops working, my mum doesnt get her
newsletter and my wife can not see if our kid is having sports or
swimming this week. No one is getting fired, no one is loosing money.
Still, losing the server would inconvenience me, losing the data would
be annoying and starting from the very beginning is "not an option".
Additionally, having to work around some known bugs/problems is annoying
and it MUST be annoying for people with more at stake as well.

I gladly took what the community is providing. I can see it is not
perfect. I can make others pay attention when something goes wrong even
if I can not fix it myself. I can see it is getting fixed (or got fixed
already)

But somewhere, somehow, the fixes do not (always) reach me.

But then again, I too am part of the community. This is why I posted
here. I am trying to see if I can not help in getting fixes (for
expample in pykolab or wallace) to end up in the debian 7.x x64 packages
on obs.kolabsys.org/repositories

My time is limited. My experience is between none and some. My
understanding in the process is growing.
I hope I do not get in the way. My aim is to help, even if it just a
little and only with debian...

I will be studying the OBS now (signed up as "catwiesel")
Wish me luck.

Thanks
Matthias