[Kolab-devel] Kolab Debian Packages

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at kolab.org
Wed Jan 21 14:24:18 CET 2015

Hello Sergio,

> - If I find packaging bugs should I file bug reports at
> issues.kolab.org or
>   send mails here?
Yes, we should report them here:
https://issues.kolab.org/buglist.cgi?product=Kolab%20Server&component=packaging&resolution=---&list_id=10593
Kolab Server, Packaging.
there is also a component for Debian Packaging, but I think it is not in
use anymore, I cannot file a bug there:
https://issues.kolab.org/buglist.cgi?product=Kolab%20Server&component=packaging%20-%20apt%20-%20debian&resolution=---&list_id=10595

>   As I want to have fixes ASAP I would probably branch and try to fix
> the OBS
>   packages, so the plan is to report bugs with patches, if possible.
Sounds good!

> - I'm integrating Kolab in an existing infraestructure that uses
> postfix, dovecot,
>   openldap and dspam among others; that means that I'm not usign some
>   components (spamassasin, clamav, kolab-webadmin, ...) and that I need
>   patch some parts of the code (right now all of them is related to
> dovecot).
>
>   I've submited some of the changes for inclusion, but others need more
> work
>   to be sent for inclusion (i.e. I've writen a simple dovecot driver
> for
>   pykolab, but it only has the functionalities I needed to make wallace
> work,
>   so I don't believe it should go upstream as is, mainly because it
> isn't well
>   tested and probably needs to be rewriten to be useful for general
> use).
I guess Jeroen is happy to include things upstream, if it is not too big
a change. Otherwise you get in trouble similar to Paul. So best to make
the changes as minimal as possible, not to change everything at the same
time.

>   Is it OK if I keep a branch in Kolab's OBS for the packages I need to
> modify
>   that include my changes as debian patches? I can keep the changes on
> my own
>   repositories, but using OBS seems a better choice because it makes it
> easier
>   to follow upstream development and packaging and maybe the packages
> can be
>   useful for others.
I think that is the idea of the OBS server sponsored by Kolab Systems,
so that the community can do things with it, which in the end benefits
everyone!

All the best,
    Timotheus