[Kolab-devel] important news on Kolab Enterprise and Community editions

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at kolab.org
Fri Dec 18 09:05:25 CET 2015

Hello Aaron,

> Questions, feedback, ideas, etc .. all welcome.. .and look for a Doodle in
> early January for scheduling an "all-hands" community meeting around Kolab!

thank you for your email!

I guess I am still wondering what it all means. But we need to start
talking again at some point, so your initiative is helpful!

Here are just some points I want us to consider. But probably only in
January, as everyone should enjoy the holidays and not think about
software too much... though we will anyways ;)

the points:
* We need a maintenance team for the build infrastructure. Or use the
infra structure provided by a bigger community/company. Perhaps now
that the Enterprise version will be open as well, we could use the
public OBS https://build.opensuse.org/?
* even with all the continuous delivery, we need proper releases of
upstream projects, eg. libkolab, kolab-utils, etc I guess we should
have a time based release cycle. Perhaps half a year, perhaps once a
month. I like it how gitlab are doing it:
https://about.gitlab.com/2015/12/17/gitlab-release-process/ I really
enjoyed reading that article, and I can confirm that their releases
keep coming every month...
* we need better official communication about the releases of the
upstream projects
* we need more participation of Kolab Systems staff on the mailing
lists. Some people are there already.
* I personally think we should encourage efforts to get Kolab into the
distributions. Mageia is quite advanced on this, and for Fedora we
want to do the same in the future. I think that is one way of
increasing the community of non-paying but contributing users. This
will increase confidence for paying customers, and will make good
marketing. This will benefit Kolab Systems as well. I think we all
believe that is how Open Source and Free Software works.

There are probably more things.
I am looking forward to the next year!

Have a nice Christmas! God became one of us to rescue us! Wow!

Timotheus