[Kolab-devel] event triggered freebusy data generation

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Mar 1 16:23:20 CET 2014

On Friday 28. February 2014 10.21.27 hede wrote:

> I would prefer a solution where the imap daemon itself triggers an event
> with every new upload to a folder with type "calendar". This solution
> would be independent from any client-support. Even deleting events with
> some pure email-only-client would be fine.

Currently, these free/busy resources are generated by the daemon and served by
a PHP resource that seems to just forward this static data, but would it not
be sufficient to generate the resources entirely using some kind of dynamic
resource (PHP, other Web "script" mechanism) instead?

In other words, instead of performing the free/busy resource generation in
kolab-freebusyd, the script published at /freebusy would dynamically generate
(and cache) the data for the requested .ifb resource. Was there a reason not
to do this, such as doubts about performance or reluctance to duplicate
functionality already written in the KDE-derived libraries?

I'm tempted to have a go at writing a Python script to dynamically generate
free/busy resources from the IMAP store.

Paul

P.S. I see that the iRony component generates free/busy information for CalDAV
clients, but I guess that it just accesses the files in /var/lib/kolab-
freebusy and forwards this data, too.

P.P.S. I've been looking at kolab-freebusyd misbehaviour lately, and it seems
that the Debian "Development" packages are rather out-of-date, causing
pathological SSL reconnect behaviour. The history of libcalendaring (where the
behaviour actually occurs) seems very confused in this respect, and the Debian
patches no longer apply to the upstream source, so perhaps there's some
"resynchronisation" required here.