[Kolab-devel] Re: Fedora packaging

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Thu Jan 23 18:24:59 CET 2014

Hi,

> I think part of the issue is that there is no one willing to step up and
> sign up to package Kolab for Fedora.  There is a lot required and,
> generally, it seems that Kolab's RPM packages don't fit the Fedora
> guidelines.

well, that's the issue (one of) I have with them - seems the packages do nasty things.

The packaging guidelines may seem a bit bureaucratic but make sense (mostly :-)) for long-term maintenance and distribution health.

> It would take a lot of work.

And that's probably the reason no one wants to step up ... but I do not think that everything has to be done at once, let's just start steering towards that goal (if there are no objections ...), and maybe, after some months/years/some people joining/some leaving, we'll reach a state where the whole process will be simplified to something like "yum install kolab; systemctl enable kolab.service" for Fedora users ...

> Perhaps you and I can work together on it?

Hopefully ... so, where to start?

Something I can do without good knowledge about Kolab architecture and modules etc., learning things on the go?

Any _really_ recommended reading for me?

K.

--
Karel Volný
QE BaseOs/Daemons Team