[Kolab-devel] Debian packages, upstream source patching and quilt

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Nov 14 23:21:21 CET 2013

On 2013-11-14 23:27, Paul Boddie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I finally managed to get pbuilder to build the Development packages for
> Debian
> Wheezy using various tricks with hooks and a build dependencies
> directory that
> I will write up in a blog post that should then appear on Planet Kolab.
> (This
> can save a lot of time: pbuilder isn't quick itself, but OBS can take
> up to 9
> minutes on my system to just set up the build environment for a single
> package.)
> (...)

Please note that we do have -- and did have before -- *a lot* of
experience in setting up some genuine Debian/APT build systems. Perhaps
we should compare notes, as we do have some /etc/pbuilderrc.d/ hooks for
use with cowbuilder (which will get you that chroot you were looking
for).

That said, indeed should patches be in format 3.0 (quilt), but here be
dragons. OBS-originated dragons, to be precise. Since I said "OBS", I
feel I need not go in to any further detail. Suffice it to say we
deliberately set everything to format 1.0, and therefore void the use of
debian/patches/ (uch! and yuk!).

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--