[Kolab-devel] Defaults files: kolabd and kolab-server

Paul Klos kolab at klos2day.nl
Tue Nov 12 17:05:17 CET 2013

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) schreef op 2013-11-12 16:46:
> On 2013-11-11 22:56, Paul Boddie wrote:
>> Well, I guess kolab-server package name was chosen for a reason,
>> perhaps to
>> distinguish it from the kolabd package from Kolab 2, but I doubt it's
>> so
>> important to try and remember the motivation now.

Agreed :-).

> It's a thing that is a difference between what is allowed in RPM
> packaging (ship kolab-server for the kolabd service), and what is not
> allowed in Debian (the package needs to be called after the service).

I think it's the other way around: the kolab-server script actually
provides a daemon called kolabd, using the "Provides" tag inside the
init script, IIRC.

> Subsequently, I suppose, the init script names (but not the
> /etc/defaults/ file?) was changed to match the kolab-server package
> name.

You can name your defaults file pretty much anything you like, because
if you want to use one, you have to source it inside the init script
yourself.

It's just a matter of convention to give these related files the same
name, and the confusion stems from not adhering to the convention.

Anyway, It's probably a good idea to rename the files and stick to the
convention. We'll just have to take care of deleting any leftovers, so
this does imply some work in terms of maintainer scripts, and also
package relationships. I'd have to look this up, but I believe that if
kolabd is going to replace kolab-server, it should declare that it
breaks, or conflicts with kolab-server, to ensure a smooth transition.

Cheers,

Paul