[Kolab-devel] Fwd: libkolab* in debian

Torsten Grote grote at kolabsys.com
Wed Mar 27 10:55:53 CET 2013

Hi Paul,

On Wednesday 27 March 2013 10:28:27 Paul Klos wrote:
> Yesterday I received this request. I have been in touch with Sune and I
> can see a few benefits here: [...]

I agree to these benefits and I'd even say we _must have_ these packages in
Debian if we want Kontact in Debian to support Kolab. Also, you might learn
some valuable stuff about packaging by working together with experienced
Debian developers.

> On the other hand, if these packages were maintained inside Debian we'd
> sometimes have to be careful while Debian is frozen.

Couldn't we just continue to also maintain them in our own repository and just
bump the version in the Debian repository whenever their policy allows it?

> For both packages, Jeroen is listed as the official maintainer. As long
> as he is, he should be involved in this. I've been doing a lot of
> packaging work , but we haven't as yet discussed a formal change of
> "maintainership".

Maybe it is time to discuss this take-over then ;)

> If so desired, I'd be happy to become the official maintainer and work with
> the Debian guys to make this happen

Great! :)

> For now, no official steps have been taken yet, but I do plan to use
> their feedback to make the packages better. Regardless of where they are
> maintained, this is a clear benefit already.

Thanks a lot! Please continue your great work :)

Kind Regards,
Torsten

--
Torsten Grote, Kolab Evangelist