[Kolab-devel] Fwd: libkolab* in debian

Paul Klos kolab at klos2day.nl
Wed Mar 27 10:28:27 CET 2013

-------- Original message --------
Onderwerp: libkolab* in debian
Datum: 26-03-2013 16:03
Afzender: Sune Vuorela <sune at debian.org>
Ontvanger: paul at klos2day.nl

Hi Paul

I got your contact details from my friend Paul (Adams). He said that
you were
the one maintaining kolab-ish debian packages.

I'm considering getting the libkolab/libkolabxml packages inside debian
and
was considering starting off from your work or even using your work
directly.

Are you interested in maintaining the packages inside debian?

/Sune

-------- End of original message --------

Yesterday I received this request. I have been in touch with Sune and I
can see a few benefits here:
- Already he and another Debian maintainer have had a look at the
libkolab* packages and have given a bunch of
pointers/suggestions/questions that will undoubtedly increase the
packaging quality of these libs
- If the libs are part of Debian proper, kdepim-runtime can link
against them, meaning kontact/kmail in Debian would be Kolab-enabled

On the other hand, if these packages were maintained inside Debian we'd
sometimes have to be careful while Debian is frozen.

For both packages, Jeroen is listed as the official maintainer. As long
as he is, he should be involved in this. I've been doing a lot of
packaging work , but we haven't as yet discussed a formal change of
"maintainership".

If so desired, I'd be happy to become the official maintainer and work
with the Debian guys to make this happen, but this is by no means the
only option.

For now, no official steps have been taken yet, but I do plan to use
their feedback to make the packages better. Regardless of where they are
maintained, this is a clear benefit already.

Any thoughts?

Paul