[Kolab-devel] Calendar events sent to Outlook client do not work

Mat Cantin mat at cantinbrothers.ca
Fri Mar 22 21:58:09 CET 2013

On 2013-03-08 4:20, Thomas Brüderli wrote:
> Mat Cantin wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I've come across an odd behavior with Kolab calendar ICS event that
>> are
>> sent to users using Outlook as their email client: events just show
>> up
>> as a downloadable ICS attachment instead of giving them the option to
>> Accept/Deny/Maybe like other events. I've confirmed this on Outlook
>> 2003/2007/2010/2013 and Office 365 webmail. Testing it with Gmail
>> accounts worked without issue.
>>
>> The only thing I can think of is that Outlook doesn't like the ICS
>> formating. Is this because Microsoft is again not conforming to
>> standards? I hope there's a workaround, a lot of people use Outlook
>> in
>> my part of the world.
>>
> In order to track this down, could you please provide us an ics
> invitation
> created/sent by Outlook (the full email source)? With this we could
> find
> the differences to the ones Kolab sends out and thus try to "fix" it.

I've attached two events. The first called Outlook-Invite.ics was sent
from an Outlook account to a Kolab account. The event was accepted which
generated the second attachment called Kolab-Accept.ics. As mentioned,
this second event created by Kolab does not work with any Outlook
version I've tried, it shows up as an attachment and the recipient
cannot be accept or update their Outlook calendar with it. The same
Outlook behaviour happens if the event is first created in Kolab.

Thanks.
--
Mat