[Kolab-devel] CalDAV Collections vs. IMAP Folders

Aleksander Machniak machniak at kolabsys.com
Wed Mar 20 13:02:12 CET 2013

On 03/20/2013 11:05 AM, Thomas Brüderli wrote:

> But I'm still not sure about the UID being derived from the actual IMAP
> folder path. Especially when CalDAV clients create new folders with UIDs
> like 5370e25fa646-4b9db78f1f30-fd07c306.

In ActiveSync server can change folder UID generated by the client on
folder create operation and the client uses UID generated by the server
then.

While implementing UID handling in kolab-syncroton there was an idea to
use /shared/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/uniqueid, but it unfortunately didn't
work. So, we ended up with generating the UID based on folder name and
type. It means folder rename will invoke delete + create + content sync
operation.

As for the folder name, there's no problem in ActiveSync, the protocol
supports folder hierarchy.

--
Aleksander Machniak
Software Developer