[Kolab-devel] CalDAV Collections vs. IMAP Folders

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Tue Mar 19 20:35:50 CET 2013

On 2013-03-18 09:19, Thomas Brüderli wrote:
> Hello devs

Hi Thomas,

> (...snip...)
>
> I admit, none of the above scenarios is perfect. 1) works for simple
> synchronization purposes where the client "subscribes" to a collection
> as we see it in Thunderbird. But it limits the interaction with
> sophisticated clients such as Apple iCal. 2a) doesn't provide a nice
> user experience either but at least it allows to create and delete
> collection. And 2b) may result in diverging names of
> collections/folders
> when using multiple clients.
>
> I guess we can all agree that storing UIDs as IMAP annotations can
> easily be implemented without major side-effects. But any suggestions
> how to solve the display name issue are much appreciated.
>
> Thanks for listening!

Have you considered storing the display name (a user might prefer) for
a collection as /private/comment?

With that available, how would this impact translating the "IMAP folder
path" to the "collection UID" directly, but presenting a "display name"
stored in /private/comment, for the different interactions a client
might attempt to undertake?

Thinking a little further ahead, how could/would this impact other
clients displaying the same calendar (now with a /private/comment)?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG