[Kolab-devel] How to properly detect a Kolab 3 server?

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Mon Jul 29 19:17:13 CEST 2013

On Monday 29 July 2013 18:01:41 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On 2013-07-29 15:45, Shawn Walker wrote:
> > Hi Jeroen,
> >
> > Thanks, but that doesn't look like those can be trusted to be 100% if
> > server is a Kolab 3 server, especially if the server was upgraded from
> > Kolab 2 server.
>
> Hi Shawn,
>
> I agree this "methodology" I outlined, for as far as the term is at all
> applicable, cannot be trusted a 100%.
>
> I also agree, no user likely knows (nor is expected to know) whatever
> the underlying format version of any payload is (supposed to be).
>
> That said, the "methodology" as outlined is the best I can come up with,
> and it does establish what I believe is a very-well-educated guess --
> more like a likely accurate estimate, in fact -- as either the server
> administrator has, or has not, upgraded the format version using
> kolab-formatupgrade or kolab-migrate.

In fact, the server - the IMAP server  is "version agnostic". We can store
kolab v2 and kolab v3 in the same imap store. The version is  just a client
choice ( but, yes, the web client is packaged with the server)
So I think the DNS records is a good choice.
Sometime we need to do things; it is not necessary to have wizards for every
small step.