[Kolab-devel] Kolab + OpenLDAP

Diane Trout diane at ghic.org
Tue Jan 22 07:31:54 CET 2013

Hi,

I made an attempt to run Kolab using OpenLDAP.

Unsurprisingly OpenLDAP doesn't ship several schema entries kolab depends on.
I needed to find a version of rfc2739.ldif for the calendar vcard url records.

for the mailHost, mailQuota attributes from originally I tried their misc
schema.
http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=blob;f=servers/slapd/schema/misc.schema;h=76a92a76a06510e89674a0956f2af4e1b4095cfb;hb=HEAD

But it didn't have mailQuota, and it was using "inetLocalMailRecipient" as the
objectClass name instead of the 389-ds "mailRecipient" name. So I just
extracted the ns-mail.ldif file from 389-ds and modified that to work with
OpenLDAP.

The kolab.ldif that you're shipping isn't quite compatible with how openldap
likes their schema files. (I can provide the altered kolab2.ldif if you'd like)

The two ldap servers seem to have different ideas about what the name of the
administrative user should be. cn=admin vs cn=Directory Manager

A big difference is the default permissions on the cn=config tree is limited to
the local root user. For my testing I gave all authenticated users read
permissions to cn=config.

What resources do you need to have access to in cn=config?

I disovered that kolab wanted a domanRelatedObject and I didn't want to figure
out how to create a cn=kolab,cn=config tree. so I attached it to the root
object for my ldap tree.

I then discovered that kolabd needed a unique_attribute, the closest match for
nsuniqueid seems to be entryuuid.

Also it crashes if you set unique_attribute to entryUUID as pykolab is
assuming all attribute names are lower cased.

With all those changes from 0.5.11 packages:

kolabd -l debug -d 9 runs without sleeping
kolab-webadmin can login but only shows the "About" button.
roundcubemail seems to work fine (browsed mail, created a contact, viewed
calendar).

Diane