[Kolab-devel] Debian packages: link squeeze/stable in repository

Jeroen van Meeuwen vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Sep 6 13:57:56 CEST 2012

On Wednesday, September 05, 2012 11:31:28 PM Johannes Graumann wrote:
> In the Debian repositories it doesn't matter whether you ask for "stable" or
> "squeeze" ... the same packages are available. Makes it easy for people to
> track "stable" and/or "testing" across release cycles.

We have versioned repositories, because we need multiple versions to be
available for a given platform version (i.e. Kolab 2.4 vs. Kolab 3.0). On top
of that, we have repository stages, with release, updates, updates-testing and
development packages in each of these stages.

A typical APT repository configuration includes these three parameters;

- The kolab product series (i.e. kolab-2.4, kolab-3.0),
- The debian platform version (i.e. squeeze, wheezy),
- The repository stages (i.e. release, updates, updates-testing, development)

If "squeeze" maps to "stable" today, I reckon we'll need to change "stable" to
"wheezy" by the time that is released - correct? Where would such a link be
made (is it simply a ln -s squeeze stable in the dists/ directory of a
repository mirror?)

Doesn't that make the effort quite the same, but exactly the inverse?

I mean, sticking with "stable" moves one forward "automatically" (I reckon a
dist-upgrade is still required) when a new distribution version is labeled
stable (I suppose one needs to change "stable" to "oldstable" to continue to
use the same?), sticking with "squeeze" would cause a system to continue to
use the same repositories (I suppose one needs to change "squeeze" to "wheezy"
to upgrade).

While none of the former is set in stone exactly - I just thought it would
work - I'd appreciate some thoughts on the subject from actual Debian
users/sysadmins/developers;

- Is it necessary to maintain the release/updates/updates-testing/development
repository stages at all?

- Would a default (i.e. the documented) installation better use "stable" and
"testing" terminology, rather than "squeeze" and "wheezy"?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG