[Kolab-devel] General XFB specification available?

Christian Hilberg hilberg at kernelconcepts.de
Thu Nov 8 09:12:46 CET 2012

Hi Christian,

thanks for your prompt reply, even though it confirmes what
I was *not* hoping for, but had expected nonetheless. :)

Am Mittwoch 07 November 2012, um 16:59:42 schrieb Christian Mollekopf:
> On Wednesday 07 November 2012 15.39:41 Christian Hilberg wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> [...]
> > The Evolution developers are concerned about making
> > general Free/Busy code too much Kolab-specific, so
> > if you could provide any pointers to general XFB
> > information (wich I could e.g. reference in the
> > code dealing with XFB), that would be very helpful.
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> I don't think there has ever been any specification of XFB, it's indeed a
> vendor specific extension to iCal, as there is no existing feature of iCal
> with the same purpose.
>
> For the Kolab Format 3.x, a specification is drafted here:
> http://wiki.kolab.org/Free_Busy#Kolab_Object_Storage_Format

This is indeed the closest match so far. Maybe it will be
enough to justify my changes to Evolution code, which are
already done (but to be published).

> There are XFB implementations in Kontact and Horde, but I'm not sure to what
> extent they were working and the format how XFB information has been stored
> was IMO not ideal (lot's of duplicated information, no link back to events
> from the period in the FB object), see the above link for what I think would
> be the right approach to implement that feature.

I'm currently only extracting the X-SUMMARY and X-LOCATION,
there could be made some use of the X-UID information as well
later on.

> The KDE implementation is in kdepimlibs/kcalcore/icalformat_p.cpp (look for
> FreebusyPeriod), there should also be something in the Horde codebase.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm not sure how much use
I can make of that right now, but it may come in
handy later on.

> I hope that helps, feel free to ask further questions.

Thanks for the bits so far!

Kind regards,

	Christian

--
kernel concepts GmbH       Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48