[Kolab-devel] Test: MongoDB for caching

Thomas Brüderli bruederli at kolabsys.com
Tue May 29 10:14:34 CEST 2012

ABBAS Alain wrote:
> hello
> there are two problems with mangoDB
> 1) the authentication and data protection, for now nway to make permissions for a user , the permissions should
> me made by the application itself (that is a big problem)

MongoDB also offers a security layer with user authentication where one
can grant access (read/write) on database level. The authentication
credentials have to be provided by the application accessing the
database. I actually don't see a difference to MySQL or other SQL-based
databases here.

> 2) on 32 bits systems the size is limited to 2Gb

Yes, the tremendous amount of disk space used for storing data indeed is
a major drawback.

> the main problem stays the datas protections .....

In that case we also have a problem when using MySQL or even worse sqlite.

~Thomas