[Kolab-devel] 10.000 events in a Resource Calendar

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Sun May 20 00:29:22 CEST 2012

On Saturday 19 May 2012 12.10:29 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm attempting to develop the code that is going to do resource management
> as defined in [1], as far as the server-side components are involved that
> is.
>
> For testing purposes, I'm inserting 10.000 events into a resource calendar,
> all Kolab format version 3 of course. 10.000 is a lot to start with,
>
> Given an iTip message (to which a resource is "invited"), I want to see if
> there's a conflict with any of the existing events in the Calendar.
>
> To that end, I was wondering if there's a way to do this more efficiently
> than;
>
> 1) Obtain *all* event objects,
> 2) Parsing *all* of them one by one,
> 3) Until I find a conflict or run out of events.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The only option I see is a cache which can be queried.
If we had a sorting of the objects according to the start-date we could search
them quicksort-style, but otherwise I don't see any other possibility.
IMO such a cache would ideally be implemented as akonadi agent, which
basically builds an in-memory calendar based on KCalCore.

Until then, I would suggest to go the not-so-efficient way of parsing all items
every time.

If you can tell me what exactly you need in terms of conflict detection API, I
can implement the required functionality in libkolab.

Cheers,
Christian