[Kolab-devel] Packaging pykolab for Debian

Mathieu Parent math.parent at gmail.com
Mon May 14 15:51:23 CEST 2012

2012/5/14 Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:
> Hi there,

Hi Jeroen,

> I would appreciate the help of some Debian packaging experts about the
> following messages I'm getting from lintian, while attempting to package
> pykolab (comments inline);

(still busy, but I can at least answer some mails ;-)

> Now running lintian...
> W: pykolab source: changelog-should-mention-nmu
> W: pykolab source: source-nmu-has-incorrect-version-number 0.4.3-1

You ca add yourself in the "Uploaders:" field (in debian/control),
otherwise you will be considered as a non-maintainer (see
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu)

Yes ;-) http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Description

> E: pykolab: copyright-file-contains-full-gpl-license
> E: pykolab: copyright-should-refer-to-common-license-file-for-gpl
>
> ^ I have no clue what this means I should do.

See http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/#examples
for an example.

> W: pykolab: new-package-should-close-itp-bug
>
> ^ This usually is the case...

THis should be the case if the package is uploaded to Debian.

> W: pykolab: binary-without-manpage usr/sbin/kolab
> W: pykolab: binary-without-manpage usr/sbin/kolab-conf
> W: pykolab: binary-without-manpage usr/sbin/kolab-saslauthd
> W: pykolab: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/kolab-test
> W: pykolab: binary-without-manpage usr/sbin/kolab_parse_telemetry
> W: pykolab: binary-without-manpage usr/sbin/kolabd
> W: pykolab: binary-without-manpage usr/sbin/setup-kolab
> W: pykolab: binary-without-manpage usr/sbin/wallaced
>
> ^ This indeed is a problem, but an upstream problem. I need no help
> with this now.

Yes.

> E: pykolab: dir-or-file-in-var-run var/run/kolab-saslauthd/
> E: pykolab: dir-or-file-in-var-run var/run/kolabd/
> E: pykolab: dir-or-file-in-var-run var/run/saslauthd/
> E: pykolab: dir-or-file-in-var-run var/run/wallaced/
>
> ^ These I don't understand. I need directories writeable for non-root
> for writing out the PID file(s). Do I just insert a lintian override
> somewhere?

/var/run (or /run for newer versions) can be cleaned at boot. The best
solution is to edit the init scripts to create those dirs.

> Finished running lintian.
>
> *pfew*

This is not much. You can have more :
lintian -EvIL +pedantic