[Kolab-devel] No x-uid please.

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Wed Mar 14 19:09:18 CET 2012

Hey,

After a good talk we have come to the following conclusion:
The format should allow for any uri. Kolab clients SHOULD support both mailto
and urn, and SHOULD avoid using any other uri format than mailto and urn.

This way we stay within the bounds of xCard and don't need the x-uid property
while having a clean way to reference contacts (urn) and allow for trivial
distlist-contacts using mailto.

If a contact has several email addresses, the one marked as preferred SHALL be
used.

Also this keeps the door open for possible future enhancements (ideas by
courtesy of Jeroeen):
- distribution list with a single IMAP uri, pointing to an IMAP conversation,
therefore automatically having everyone in the distribution list involved in
the conversation so far.
- ldap query as uri, for query based distribution list.
- ....

That's future stuff though

We'd like to apply the same approach for other places where an x-uid element
was introduced:
- xCal Attendee
- xCard Related

That gives us a bit more development effort in the beginning but gives us the
powerful solution we need.

Cheers,
Christian